Bath Spa II

| June 29, 2007 | 7 Comments

I was honoured to be asked to deliver the opening keynote speech at a conference organised by Bath Spa University and their School of Education looking at ways of redesigning the curriculum in the light of the new Primary Framework.

I had so much fun as this receptive audience had a superb sense of humour. Because of this, I ran comprehensively over time. 🙂 Well done to Ed, for getting through a Doors of Doom Challenge.Ed was chosen by the hat. There was NO fix there Ed. Honest. Who would have believed your name could come up TWICE out of over a hundred people?! That throws my lessons on Probability out of the window!

It was good to get to have a chat with folks afterwards too. 🙂

The Bath Spa campus at Newton Park is a remarkable setting for a university. Situated on the outskirts of Bath, Newton Park is a wonderful parkland estate, leased from the Duchy of Cornwall. The grounds were designed by the well-known landscape architect Capability Brown in the eighteenth century. The campus boasts its own lake, nature reserve, woods and farmland, along with beautiful historically important buildings. Several of the period buildings have been refurbished to provide teaching and study rooms – such as the 14th century Castle tower, the oldest building on the campus and a scheduled ancient monument.

As I am a huge fan of panoramas, I am glad to say that Bath Spa have a “Virtual Tour” of some of the campus HERE

Again, I was presenting in the main theatre in the Michael Tippett Centre, a superb venue with remarkable acoustics. The hall hosts a huge range of concerts and is one of the central venus for the International Guitar Festival in August, which I attended last year and took a “Logic 101″ music programming course with Joe Moretti

I will be making a third return trip to Bath Spa in on Wednesday the 11th of July, to present at The Music Education Conference

Thankyou to Susan Haywood for organising an excellent day today.

1. Lorraine Rich says:

Thank you so much Tim for a wonderful and really inspiring talk and presentation. Your humour was very much appreciated and your enthusiasm for and committment to making teaching fun is refreshing and so encouraging in these times of change and revised strategies. It is always my intention to make teaching fun and your talk provided me with new and exciting methods to explore and share with my class. You were kind enough to allow me to buy two of the Myst CDs, one for school and one for my son Matthew. He has been playing on it since we got home and loves it. So does his friend Oliver. Keep up the good work/fun. Hope I didn’t miss out too many commas!

2. Claire Wall says:

Thank you so, so much for a talk which has inspired and revived me and my passion for literacy! In fact, I rushed from the conference back to school (yes, even on a Friday afternoon) to spread the word and order Myst!

All too often, we teachers are sent on courses which are dry, irrelevant and theoretical. There is nothing worse than feeling you have wasted your time and lost a day with your class to boot. Today, I certainly do not feel like that. For the first time in a long time, I feel I heard and saw new things which will truly inform and improve my professional practice and which I will most definitely share with others.

What lucky children to have your humour and passion to inspire them.

3. Liz Davies says:

Ooops! Hit submit before I had finished Tim. Just wanted to add that I had a lump at the back of my throat on a few occasions as you shared with us the comments and wonderful achievements of some of the chilldren you have inspired to reach those heights. Thanks for reaffirming what dedication, commitment and laughter can achieve in our classrooms. We’re never too old to walk on that apple crumble!

4. blog says:

I don’t know what happened to the first part of your message Liz but it has disappeared into the ether.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the conference and have received some lovely emails in response as well.
    Nothing we talked about was rocket science but it is good to have a bit of fun during the learning process eh?
    Cheers
    Tim

5. Michele says:

Tim
    Wanted to fill the page with superlatives…punctuated, of course, with commas!! Your talk was inspiring and reminded me of my passion for teaching and being a part of children’s learning. I rushed home to ‘play’ Myst, which my own children have. I have come back to school and have not stopped enthusing about you. Great website, too…loved the guitar music.
    Thanks again,
    Michele

6. Wendy says:

You gave such an enjoyable introduction to the conference, I didn’t mind having to cut my presentation at the end of the day by about 20 minutes!!! Still I got to show all the films I wanted to – and teachers loved them. I thought your PowerPoint was brilliant – and I normally hate PowerPoint – it can be such a cop out from really talking to your audience and being interesting. But you are a real communicator. I have made my recommendations as promised, so now it’s down to the programme[r]s.

7. Sue Haywood says:

Another fantastic session Tim. thanks on behalf of Bath Spa University! I don’t need to tell you, or anyone else there, how enthusiastically the audience received your presentation.

The theme of ‘new technologies’ was brilliantly covered in your keynote which started the day and In Wendy’s presentation on using film which concluded it.

Members of the ICT team here are very interested in the work that you and teachers in school are doing with computer games within the curriculum. There is a growing literature on the use of games to support learning. Graham Downes, an ICT tutor here, has just completed his Master dissertation on this and it also forms part of the background to my PhD studies on ICT and lteracy in Key Stage 1. It was so good from my perspective to see how this relationship is being explored in classrooms.