Monkston Primary School Milton Keynes

| October 29, 2007 | 9 Comments

The first of a couple of trips to Milton Keynes. Firstly to Monkston Primary School
Monkston Primary School is a community school proud to be part of the developing area of Monkston and Monkston Park. It places a lot of emphasis on effective use of ICT and has received a couple of awards in recognition of this.

The school first opened in September 2001 as Monkston Combined School. In September 2005 it became known as Monkston Primary School. With 420 places, two classes in each year group, it boasts “a range of facilities each designed to promote quality learning for all children.” It is a very well designed and attractive school.

The school is also rightly proud of a living ‘Sedum‘ roof which changes colour with the seasons and acts as a “Green Roof”

I really enjoyed working with a really warm-spirited, open, imaginative, and humorous set of staff, from TAs and teachers to volunteers, on developing some ideas for inspiring writing and visual literacy.

Well done and thank you to head, Tom Winter and deputy head Phil Webster, for organising a really fun time.

I had a quick glimpse of Milton Keynes’ most famous inhabitants, the concrete cows, constructed in 1978 by community artist Liz Leyh with the help of local school children using scrap materials.

Just for the fun of it, here are a few silly cow links: Cow noughts and crosses, a cow “in and out” game for simple science, and Cowhtello, a twist on the game of Orthello to play on a whiteboard.

I promised a few folk I would link to some ideas for simple “non seasonal” DT.

Here’s fun site with some free nets of 3-D models to print and make. (Click on the model)

1. Lyndsey says:

Very, very inspiring and exciting day. Your enthusiasm and motivated has also inspired me. I’m now hooked, will try to hook up laptop to 48 inch tv tonight!!!! Can’t wait to use this with the children. THANK YOU.

2. Laura and Sarah says:

Thank you for a really inspiring day!Certainly not ‘smokes and screens’ a really useful presentation with lots of practical ideas. Eager to use asap in our year 2 classes!

3. Tina says:

Thank you for a wonderfully inspiring day. You have given us so many ideas and I’m completely hooked on MYST. It’s going to be an exciting time implementing all your ideas.
    Thanks again.

4. Craig Rhodes says:

Thanks a lot for all your help during todays training day. Really enjoyed some of the ideas and inspirational thoughts you have given the school as a whole to help with our writing.

5. Nicky Toor says:

What to say?! Totally and completely inspired! I’ve never been so motiavated in such a short space of time. Where you have gained such ideas I shall never know. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Just what the school needed!

6. marie whitefield says:

wow, that was awsome! What a great way to start up this second autumn half term.
    I feel full of super ideas for igniting writing witj my class. The graphics of Myst3 are a brilliant resource for describing settings.

What I liked most is the interactive powerpoint, I like playing around with computer programmes, but this is so interesting. I guess the children will eventually be better at that than me… they ususally are once you have shown them the basics!

Go well
    Marie

7. Phil Webster says:

Thanks for your efforts today. It was nice to get lots of practical ideas that I can use in a classroom. It was also refreshing to get back to the ways of inspiring children to write and the many ways of doing this. Thanks again.

8. Rich says:

Thanks for the headsup on the 3-D models… they look quality! Just need to find some decent paper to print them on… lol

Maths, Craft and Technology all in one… multi-dividending here we come!

9. Toby says:

WOW! A truly inspirational day – thank you Tim. you have given us a huge amount to digest and use. I cannot imagine children being anything other than hooked on MYST (as am I). Used it with my Y6 class today and,guess what THEY LOVED IT. I am already seeing evidence of less confident children ‘going for it’ in terms of descriptive language. The graphics are, quite simply, awesome and captivate children’s imaginations. Can’t wait to take this work forward – thank you for making a difference and for helping me to do the same!