Little Aston Primary School, Staffordshire

| February 8, 2008 | 7 Comments

Little Aston Primary School, Staffordshire is a delightful school set in the village of Little Aston.
Well done Chris for perspiring us through a great soundtrack!

Thank you to Liz Pearce and Noreen Brain and their colleagues for a really enjoyable day.
We talked at one point about the elements that make good writing and I was reminded of a few of the rules to be a good writerer:

1. Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects.
2. Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.
3. And don’t start a sentence with a conjunction.
4. It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.
5. Avoid cliches like the plague. (They’re old hat)
6. Also, always avoid annoying alliteration.
7. Be more or less specific.
8. Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary.
9. Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies.
10. No sentence fragments.
11. Contractions aren’t necessary and shouldn’t be used.
12. Foreign words and phrases are not apropos.
13. Do not be redundant; do not use more words than necessary; it’s highly superfluous.
14. One should NEVER generalize.
15. Comparisons are as bad as cliches.
16. Don’t use no double negatives.
17. Eschew ampersands & abbreviations, etc.
18. One-word sentences? Eliminate.
19. Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake.
20. The passive voice is to be ignored.
21. Eliminate commas, that are, not necessary. Parenthetical words however should be enclosed in commas.
22. Never use a big word when a diminutive one would suffice.
23. Kill all exclamation points!!!
24. Use words correctly, irregardless of how others use them.
25. Understatement is always the absolute best way to put forth earth shaking ideas.
26. Use the apostrophe in it’s proper place and omit it when its not needed.
27. Eliminate quotations. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.”
28. If you’ve heard it once, you’ve heard it a thousand times: Resist hyperbole; not one writer in a million can use it correctly.
29. Puns are for children, not groan readers.
30. Go around the barn at high noon to avoid colloquialisms.
31. Even IF a mixed metaphor sings, it should be derailed.
32. Who needs rhetorical questions?
33. Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.
34. Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

1. Laura says:

A really incredible, inspiring day. I only hope my children will be as engaged and achieve such fantastic speaking and listening, writing, music, and ICT skills as the children we saw in your clips today!

2. Rebecca Palmer says:

Some courses seem to go on forever and ever and ever and ever!!!! But not this one. I could have listened to Tim talk for hours!! I would like to say a huge thanks to Tim for the knowledge he imparted to us today. I can honestly say, I thoroughly enjoyed the training day and feel truly inspired in using the fun and interactive activities within my classroom. I am now equipped with some super resources to deliver inspirational lessons (fingers crossed)!!! My colleagues and I decided, that one day, we would like to be super teachers like Tim (he is one of a kind)!

3. Liz Pearce says:

‘The best training day we’ve had! ‘ was the comment made by so many staff after our INSET yesterday. Everyone was incredibly enthusiastic and inspired and we now can’t wait to use Myst with our children. We are looking forward to your return in May to work with the children. Thank you so much – hope you had a good journey home.

4. Anna says:

I realised after the INSET yesterday the only thing I’d written down was this website address and a few things about Powerpoint! Despite that, I know that I learnt and have remembered a lot and can’t wait to use these ideas with the kids… I have a feeling I might be spending my half term looking for inspiring scenes in myst and making powerpoints!! Thank you.

5. Vic says:

Thanks Tim for a really inspiring INSET at our school. I left feeling enthusiastic and motivated about using many of the ideas you shared with us with my own children. I do however have one complaint…I’m hooked! I spent my usaul saturday night out, sat at my computer playing MYST!!! After 4 hours of solid play I still can’t get out of the stupid lift!!! I have a feeling my social life will suffer for this!
    Thanks again for a fab day.

6. Noreen says:

Thanks Tim for an excellent training day. Everyone was enthusiastic and enjoyed the day. They were looking forward to implementing your ideas and using your tips. It was one of the best uses if ICT to inspire learning I have seen. I am sure the children will have a great day working with you when you return in May. Hope everything was OK when you returned home. Thanks again Tim.

7. Jayne says:

Thanks Tim for a great day. I have become ‘mysty’ eyed and ‘mystified’ with the games. I am still stuck in the lift !!!!
    I am looking forward to using Myst as a Year Six revision tool to inspire the children’s writing and creativity. Look forward to your support with this in May.