St Teresa’s Catholic Pri School, Ashford – Day 2

| March 6, 2009 | 13 Comments

Another great day at St Teresa’s Catholic Primary School with John, Anna and the rest of the staff. Over the two days here, the school arranged for a large number of other schools to share in the experience… (see below)

I am grateful to my dad for introducing me to the idea of mixed up animals. I have had some great fun with classes designing composite animals, drawing them and coming up with some poems.

screenshot005I always start by telling them about our pet Camelephantelopelicanary, a cross between many exotic animals:

A Camelephantelopelicanary’s a strange and wonderful thing

The bits of its body are really quite shoddy so he’s all held together with string

Discovered, they say, on the first day of May by an explorer out wandering the Nile

The first thing he noted was the fact that it floated and its face was all covered in smile.

For a fun, on-line, way to make many hybrid creatures…

screenshot008Here is a fun little invention you could use on a whiteboard to mix up two random creatures. Have fun!

Today, the staff on the course, drew some incredible and amusing Camelephantelopelicanaries, including some lesser known facts… it has an extendible trunk that unfolds like a concertina when ever the camelephantelopelicanary wants to drink. It CAN fly, although not for long distances… and so much more!

Well done to all of the staff from St Simon RC Primary School, Aldington Primary School, East Stour Primary School, Phoenix Community Primary School, Willesborough Infants, Chilham St Mary’s CE Primary School,  Ashford St Mary’s C.E. Primary School, Mersham Primary SchoolHigh Halden C of E School, Kennington Junior School, Challock Primary School, The Towers School, Brook Community Primary School,  Smarden Primary School, Beaver Green Community Primary School, Hamstreet Primary School, Tenterden C of E Junior SchoolTenterden County Infant School, Pluckley CE Primary School and Brabourne CE PrimarySchool, for all of your laughter, smiles and stunning ideas today.

screenshot012During our two day visit at St Teresa’s we had the pleasure of being joined by Gary Trotter and Simon Colling   from Network and Cabling Solutions.

This gave the opportunity to explore creative ways of using a variety of technologies, for example, Activote, Activexpression.

We also stretched the use of an Elmo visualiser: It was magical to watch children write, LIVE, onto a huge surface… then to turn the viewer of the visualiser 90 dgrees and use it to show characters acting out a role, again, HUGE on the screen, and to record it all too!

1. Tina Godden says:

THE most inspirational 2 days EVER!!!!! I had heard of Tim Rylands but was not prepared for such an amazingly gifted and talented man! It’s definately not about the software – it’s about how you can use it IF you are prepared to look, listen and take on board the ideas of this fantastic teacher, Thank you Anna and St Teresa’s, BIGGEST thanks to Tim and Sarah.

2. Chris Johnson says:

Thanks for a great 2 days. If I am excited and raring to go I am sure the children will be when I get back to school. It really shows that you are passionate about spreading great ideas.

3. Lindsay Russell-Samways says:

Thank you for a fabulous 2 days. The quality of writing I got from my Year 3 class after their session with you was phenomenal! Look out for copies of their work being emailed to you soon! I’m still recovering from my roller coaster conducting experience!ol

4. Rebecca, St. Teresa's says:

The children thorougly enjoyed the experience, especially the boys!!! Tim came up with some excellent ideas, that I look forwards to using. I am glad Sarah and he enjoyed being at our lovely school. We will benefit from the whole experience – Thanks also to Network and Cablings fantastic support in ICT in our school.

5. blog says:

Thanks all. It is always good to get your feedback
    We had a fantastic couple of days. It was lovely to meet colleagues from so many schools.
    Your children are a credit to you too.

6. Dawn Osborne, Aldington says:

Have just finished my writing my first powerpoint show as demonstrated on friday. Feeling very proud and know the children will love it. Thank you.

7. Rufina St. Simon's says:

Thanks for your inspirational ideas! No doubt using them will deinitely enhance learning, especially writing in my class.

8. Nickie Moss, Aldington says:

An amazing experience! Tim’s energy and enthusiasm is truly catching. I have learned so much in 2 short days… maybe he should talk at teacher training courses, catch them while they are fresh! A huge thankyou to both Tim and Sarah and also to St Teresa’s for hosting and making everyone feel so welcome.

9. Liz Clarke says:

I’ve taken this long to write as I’ve been talking about this to everyone and using it with my year 1 class. The children LOVED it & over 3 days produced some fantastic story starters. It was just as Tim said…I had to keep trying to STOP them from writing!!Thankyou.

10. Dave Smith says:

Great to hear that the visualiser was a real success. A fantastic use!

Dave Smith
    Chair of The Visualiser Forum

ICT Consultant and Curriculum Advisor
    London Borough of Havering Inspection and Advisory Service

11. Emma says:

What a great day. Lots of ideas to take back to school, which we have already started using. Both the staff and children are very enthusiastic…

12. Looks like a great 2 days, and an excellent use of inspirational technology!

13. Amazing what technologies Schools use now, compared to when i went.

Looks like you all had a great time of it.

Paul.