Overmonnow Primary School, Monmouth – Day 1

| March 9, 2009 | 9 Comments

screenshot0011It is lovely to be back in Wales, for a whole week. And, what a way to start… with the staff of Overmonnow Primary School, Monmouth.

We are, more often than not, working for two days in a school, or cluster of schools. One of the days is a “training day” with all of the staff. The second, a day of lessons with children from across the school.

I learnt a new expression today: “Men! They only ever look with one hand!” “You watch them,” said Julie, “they go through their sock drawer with one hand instead of diving in with both. And, they NEVER look UNDER anything!”

Monmouth is wrapped in history. (Thankfully, we had no rebellion here today ๐Ÿ™‚ )

brecon_basin1I can’t, as yet,ย find any 360 degree panoramas of Monmouth, (maybe just because I have been looking with one hand! ๐Ÿ™‚ ) but there is a glorious one of the Monmouth and Brecon Canal Basin. It comes from the excellent Cardiff 360 site which provides a 360 degree full-screen interactive virtual tour of Cardiff, the capital city of Wales.

There are over 100 full screen 360 degree virtual tours on this site. You can explore the City Centre and Cardiff Bay by using the interactive map or by simply selecting an area of Cardiff from the gallery section.

Thank you to headteacher, Huw Williams; ICT coordinator, Michelle Thomas; and their colleagues for a warm and fun-filled welcome and creative day.

Overmonnow school’s website has a quote of the day page powered by The Free Dictionary dot com – a useful, updating addition to blogs and websites perhaps?

1. Lisa says:

I’m not particularly fussed about computers and DEFINITELY not interested in computer games so why is it I’ve only been home from school for half an hour and I’m balancing a plate of chilli in one hand whilst attempting to load MYST with the other? I blame you both! Thanks

PS Chilli cooked by gardener!!

2. Meic says:

I don’t need another addiction in my life … but as it is I am hooked – taking screen shots, making resources and I’ve got a dog to feed! Thank you for a brilliant day…can’t wait to see you work it with the kids…they are going to be so enthused!

3. Michelle says:

Great day today, I’m really looking forward to tomorrow, seeing the children interacting with MYST and Tim, I know my class are just going to love it.

4. Julie Hartles says:

Had a fab day, really believe that Myst III and IV are great resources for teaching literacy; the kids will love learning, which is what it is all about.

Thanks,

J

5. Julie says:

Still can’t get the hang of Myst, but inspired by the ideas. Thanks for an entertaining day.

6. cara says:

had a fantastic day! I feel totally inspired. Thanks

7. jenny says:

Thank you Tim and Sarah. I’ve really enjoyed the past 2 days and I know that the children in my Year 2 class did too. I’m not that brilliant with using computers, although I do try.The past 2 days have helped me so much… now I know what print/screen really means!!!! .. no wonder I didn’t get the pictures I wanted when Prnt Scrn was pressed before! How was the conducting the staff orchestra though??? O.K…… not that good either…lol. Many thanks

8. Kate says:

I’m addicted, got into work today and we were talking about which part we were at. I am now struggling and I have just screamed at my computer. I am really looking forward to use the software when I start my teacher training! Thanks! Kate

9. Huw Williams says:

Hi Tim and Sarah
    Last week I had two great days watching you enthuse teachers and pupils in turn. The excitement reached new heights, from Wednesday on, as staff and pupils came to show me the quality of work which was being produced. You have clearly left your mark on Overmonnow and I look forward to reaping the rewards of your inspiration.
    Best wishes,