Basic Skills Cymru Regional Workshops 2 – Ceredigion

| June 11, 2009 | 9 Comments

ceredigion-09-008 The second of our three day “tour” of Wales as part of the Improving Boys’ Literacy in Wales conference and workshop series. In the first of these posts, while in Cardiff, we explained that the Basic Skills Cymru launched a new campaign in autumn 2008 under the umbrella title of  Read a Million Words Together in Wales.

Today we were joined by colleagues from Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire and Powys.

ceredigion-09-010ceredigion-09-009A special thanks to Sarah Evans for coodinating today’s event superbly!  Also, thanks goes to Rhys Huws, a teacher of 30 years, headteacher of 15, for translating the Welsh into English for us during the day.

Well done, as well , to those colleagues who rose to the challenge of becoming lost sould trapped on the edge of time, at the pirate ship in Myst IV, where “the sun has been torn from the sky”.

One of the most enjoyable times spent standing, peering out across those milky acid-like waters, was with a great groups of lads, from Year 7, 9 and 10, at Mounton House in Monmouthshire.

In the words of Estyn, the office of Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector of Education and Training in Wales, Mounton House is a residential/day special school maintained by Monmouthshire County Council for boys aged 11 to 16 who, because of their emotional, behavioural and learning difficulties, have statements of special educational needs. It has 58 places and is situated in Pwllmeyric just outside Chepstow.

What a superb establishment.They had a super sense of humour, and really responded well to the challenges of virtual worlds. There were more than a few who surprised themselves that day.

Below, I include a few recordings of some of the lads reading extracts of their descriptive narrative and, in some cases, commenting on the effect that the experience had on their writing.

Danny D

Chris D

The comment that the sun had been ripped from the sky, reminded me of Sungazer.net, a site designed to advise on safe ways of studying the sun. Handle with care, but…

Gadwin again. This useful free program for grabbing screen shots was explored today.

Well worth checking out.

1. Ben Barraclough says:

Ace course! Any chance of a free disk, then?

2. Thomas Hyde says:

A great day and i really enjoyed the corse. I will take a lot back to school to inspire both pupils and teachers. Da iawn

3. Margo Chivers says:

It was definitely a very interesting and enjoyable day. We took lots of new ideas away with us. We can’t wait to start our new adventure with the kids. Thank you.
    Margo chivers

4. Wendy MacGarvie says:

It was a brilliant day – not many courses find me shocked it’s half past 3! Hope to get you to the rest of the staff in school!

5. Michelle Knott says:

Cannot thank you enough for today. It has been inspiring, exciting and unexpected! I’ve also had a really good laugh. I’m out on a school trip tomorrow but look out Monday!

6. Martin George says:

Thanks for a fantastic day, yesterday. Was really inspiring and exciting day, have taken some great ideas back to school. Think another couple of people from school are registered on the course on Monday in Neyland, I hope they enjoy it as much as I did. Oh and thanks for stitching me up as a lost soul….

7. Lorraine Young says:

I’m becoming more “techie” by the day after yesterday’s inspiring course – this is the first blog I’ve ever contributed to and I also spent last night playing with Myst!

8. Aled Rees says:

Lookng for ideas for raising the standards of boys in our school I stumbled across this week’s course. I don’t think I’ll be looking for any more resources for a while – Myst is going to keep me (and the kids!) entertained and inspired for months. I just wish more teachers from schools in our cluster could experience your enthusiasm – it’s infectious! Diolch yn fawr – parhewch ‘da’r gwaith da. (No swear words there Tim in case your worried)

9. Kathleen Gaskell says:

Thanks for a brilliant course at Felinfach on June 11th. Inspirational! Looking forward to using Myst III with my Year 5/6 class. Love the ‘Lo and Behold.’idea – it makes so much more sense than ‘telling’ pupils what you want and it makes learning more exciting. Hope you come to visit Ceredigion again – I would welcome the opportunity to watch one of your lessons