Sevenoaks South Partnership Myst Writing Project, Day 1

| September 23, 2009 | 12 Comments

Sevenoaks 003Day One of a three day visit to work with the schools in the Sevenoaks South Partnership, Kent and today is the launch of their Myst Writing Project. The schools taking part include: Anthony Roper Primary, Chevening C.E.Primary, Churchill C.E.Primary, Crockham Hill C.E. Primary, Dunton Green Primary, Edenbridge Primary, Fordcombe C.E.Primary, Four Elms Primary, Halstead Community Primary, Hever C of E Primary, Ide Hill C.E.Primary, Kemsing Primary, Lady Boswell’s C.E.Primary, Leigh Primary, Otford Primary, Penshurst C.E.Primary, Riverhead Infants’, St Katherine’s C of E Primary, St Lawrence C of E Primary, St Thomas’ Catholic Primary, Seal C of E Primary, Sevenoaks Primary, Shoreham Village School, Sundridge C.E.Primary and Weald Community Primary.

What a fun day! Thank you to Sarah Horton and her colleagues for organising a great event. The teachers attending today’s session will be building upon their training  by having the opportunity to watch demonstration lessons, tomorrow at Edenbridge Primary, and on Friday, at Chevening C.E.Primary.

Sevenoaks 002We were joined today by Jerome Monahan, who is writing a piece for Futurelab and their Vision magazine. A delight to meet a man with such passion and perception for many creative elements of education.

Jerome is a freelance journalist and school ‘workshop provider’. He was a teacher of English and head of Media Studies for ten years. He is an associate tutor and author for the British Film Institute, a regular trainer and writer for Film Education.

Jerome believes that, by speaking, playing games and performing, young people are far more likely to become engaged with stories; learning their detail and better grasping their moral and dramatic qualities.

Jerome has done some fascinating work with Edujam CIC providing lesson plans for active learning and onsite workshops looking at Greek Myths and a variety of Shakespeare’s plays, Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, Beowulf and Grimm’s wonder tales

We look forward to the chance of working alongside Jerome in his use of drama in schools around the country.

Before that, we are lucky enough to have the chance to work alongside the pupils and schools in the Sevenoaks cluster over the next two days. Watch this space.

1. Not Johnny Question mark says:

So pleased to hear someone discuss when NOT to use plans!
    Better go now, as multi-tasking isn’t my thing!
    (Notice the use of comma?)

2. Chris says:

What a fantastic day(comma)thankyou.If only all learning was this much fun…

3. Ellie says:

Thank you for an inspiring, entertaining and eye-opening day. What a pleasure to attend a course with such a lot to say and so many ways of saying it. Much there that I can’t wait to try…I hope I can do it justice when I report back to colleagues!

4. Esther says:

Great to get some new ideas to inspire my class. Look forward to watching it live tomorrow and see how the children respond.

Especially liked the lunch ;-)

5. Johnathan Question Mark says:

So glad to see a resource and ideas that spreads across a wide range of curriculum areas. Can’t wait to try it with writing and FLY!!!

6. Matthew says:

Thank you for your energy and enthusiasm Tim! It was so inspiring to leave with so many ideas that seem to have so much resonance with a truely creative curriculum, and which have the potential to ignite all pupils’ writing. I can see Myst blending in very neatly to a school push on drama and speaking and listening. Jerome is absolutely right to believe that children’s understanding of story is enhanced by true engagement through drama, talk and visual film-making techniques. If only English was this much fun when I was programming robots on a BBC computer all those years ago…..! Many thanks!

7. Hannah says:

WOW! What a day! The time just went and I came away with so many ideas and a great buzz. Looking forward to seeing the lessons on Friday

8. Jerome Monahan says:

I do not want to anticipate the article that eventually emerges from today’s time well-spent with Tim and Sarah Neild as they delivered their Myst and beyond workshop, but it was a tremendous event: hugely stimulating and inspiring. In the end what has remained with me most strongly were the many images they shared of their work to date in schools in which children were obviously engaged and having tremendous fun alongside Tim – their partner in discovery and exploration. Thanks you for letting me attend and your kind comments. I would love to develop some workshops with you. Best wishes for the next two days of in-school events. I wish I could have sat in on one of them.

9. Esther Too (B) says:

What brilliant day! My son, who is nearly 12, will be pleased as I can now tell why some of these games are so addictive! Can’t wait to get started with my year 4 children. I am sure they will all love it. Loved the comment, amongst many others, about NOT using the phrase ‘click on that’ ….

10. Esther Too (B) says:

I was lucky enough to see Tim and Sarah in action with Years 3 and 4 this morning at Edenbridge and learned lots more, about how to expect more from your children and push, about the power of acting and modelling speech to get the children to speak and all of that with just a little bit of movement on ONE landscape. Loved the modelling of good reading by claiming a piece of one of the chidren’s writing and the spell of the long stream of words not interrupted by ‘teacher’s commnets’ – performing as well as writing in one. Thank you, Tim and Sarah, and everyone at Edenbridge.

11. Paul Edwards says:

I must firstly say thankyou to Sarah and Mandy for inviting Tim to come and inspire us on Wednesday. It’s really great to see the cluster having the vision to draw in people of Tim’s calibre to develop our practice. I was very impressed with both the training day and with the follow up session this morning at Chevening. Thanks for hosting so many of us today. I am truely excited about the possibilities and potential of using Myst with children. I have seen the impact of it in the two days I have been using it with my class. It gives children permission to develop a wild imagingation. Meanwhile it carefully supports them with enough of a visual to stimulate the imaginative thought process. The children loved coming into the room trying to guess what it was that they could hear (I had the white board on No Show). After discussing what it could be and being blown over by the plethora of responses, I flicked to the first scene of Myst III. Spent two sessions just looking at that getting written descriptions, working on similies and wow words. Awesome stuff. Thank you Tim for transforming the way I think about teaching creative writing.

12. Jenny Burt says:

I hate video games – especially ones like MYST where you spend hour after hour desperately searching for some elusive clue. This is why Tim is so inspiring; it’s not about the game, it’s what he does with it. Since Wednesday I’ve already got the children into role play to work out what verbs and adverbs are, and I’ve found some brilliant video footage of white water kayaking using Google Advanced search.(Why did I never think of that before!)I can see how to use Tim’s ideas in so many different ways. Don’t worry – I will be using MYST too, thanks to the frustration busting technology of downloading saved games. Sorry to all you gaming fanatics. Thanks Tim, for the inspiration.