Enfield :Games Based Learning Network Day 2

| October 2, 2009 | 15 Comments

Enfield 001Following yesterday’s very enjoyable day at Galliard Primary school, with their delightful pupils, we are today at Central Enfield City Learning Centre working with the teachers involved in Enfield’s Games Based Learning Network.

And, more fun was had by all…

It has been a true delight to work with another group of people who are up for a challenge and understand the power and potential of the creative use of ICT. I loved that today, a few people commented on how important it is to focus on the “excellence” AS WELL AS the “enjoyment”. In other words, if all we can say is “my children had fun and really enjoyed it”, and we end up with nothing other than that, then time, resources and energy have been mis spent.

It is SO important for us to remember that, whatever technologies we are using, it has to have an impact on standards, confidences and creativity.

I look forward to finding out about the outcomes of this project because all those involved are clear about the tools, but know that it is how they are used that has the biggest impact.

Thanks all…

1. Jedidah says:

Hello Tim and Sarah,
    Thank you for a brilliant 2 day session on how to encourage my pupils to write creatively using MYST. I had loads of fun and hope this will rub off well on my pupils. Thanks.

2. Tom O'Donnell says:

I am now currently in the 2nd days training of Myst. Not only has it been inspiring, but I am really exciting about bringing this resource back into my school as I can already visualise the measurable impact and excellence and enjoyment it will promote of the learning of all the children in my class.
    I already use ICT to underpin all of my teaching but this resource takes ideas for Literacy and writing to a different level. It’s funny how such simple things can be so effective. It’s also great to be on a course where the practical side (e.g. the teaching method and approach) is modelled so you can see the success for yourself rather than simply imagining all of the problems and issues you would encounter in class.

As teachers I feel we are essentially actors – and with enthusiasm (getting in role) anything is possible.

I am looking forward to demonstrating through teaching to the different classes in my school so that the teachers in my school can appreciate its value.

I am now going to consider which strategies to use when introducing and using the resources from the many ideas that Tim has provided me with.

Where can I get a Walker like the one he’s got from?

If anyone finds out let me know otherwise I will have to improvise with something else.

Thanks

3. Sarah says:

Having a great time although I do feel quite seasick now. Time for lunch. Maybe a sandwich or two will sort me out!

4. Dawn Nixon says:

Day 2
    I’m really enjoying the course and feel thoroughly inspired to go back to school and share these wonderfull resources with everyone!
    What a fantastic way to insire our young writers. Thank you Tim and Sarah :)

5. Emma says:

I have learnt so much today, I just hope I can remember it all! Thank you. Emma

6. Genevieve says:

Thank you for two days of trainging which have been inspirational! Great to see lessons in action from day one and to pick up some amazing ICT & motivational tips on day 2 – looking forward to getting back to school to put it all into practice and to further motivate/engage children in writing…and staff:)
    Thanks again Tim and Sarah!
    Genevieve

7. It’s been a fascinating couple of days full of excellent ideas on how to fully engage children.I look forward to sharing them with my colleagues. Thank you both,

Rupert

8. Chloe says:

I am really inspired, if not a little overwhelmed. I now just want to get going with everything and will be telling my colleagues all about it as well. Thank you.

9. Inspired… Want to get into the classroom to explore some of the techniques that have been modelled over the 2 days. Thanks Tim and Sarah

10. Craig says:

Excellent 2 days. Full of useful and exciting ideas and classroom techniques.

11. Lynne says:

It has been an INSPIRATIONAL two days and I have enjoyed every minute. Thanks.

12. Jo says:

Have got my 10year old son busy “bookmarking” pages for me already…….happy myst weekend everyone!
    j
    x

13. Andrew Rhodes says:

Thanks Tim and Sarah for all your hard work over the last two days. The training sessions have gone better than either I or my colleagues could have hoped for.
    If you have never seen Tim teach a class of children, then you have missed out! Yesterday at Galliard School, Tim was able to build a rapport with three groups of 60 children almost immediately and within minutes he had them inspired, excited and ready to go wherever the story Tim very cleverly constructed with the children’s ideas and some clever use of sound and imagery. For those people who think that it is all about playing computer games, I have to say you could not be any more wrong. Certainly the rich media landscape provided by Myst gives both a powerful visual and auditory stimulus, but as Tim repeatedly tells us it is not about playing a computer game, but more about exploring new worlds and playing with words. Tim teased graphic descriptions of places, feelings and soon year 3 children were using similies like veterans! In an hour and fifteen minutes , we hardly moved in the game, but pupils and teachers were completely gripped.
    During all of the lessons (even year 1), Tim engaged with the pupils as though they were grown ups encouraging them to drop ideas into the lesson when they felt there was a good time rather than put their hands up. This meant they listened closely to one another and were sharing and developing ideas as a group.
    We were also lucky enough to be able to spend a second day back at Central Enfield CLC where Tim shared with us his passion for Myst and a huge variety of other tools. The day was both highly entertaining, thought provoking and challenging. Tim gave us a great insight to the power of Myst as a tool to develop pupils writing, and also shared with us a wide variety of ICT tools to engage and stimulate learning. Having fun was one of the key messages, but at the same time Tim was very clear about the need for there to be impact to the project we have undertaken. I am a firm believer that it is not about technology it is about teaching and I know that this is a view that Tim shares. I hope our project will have a very real impact on pupils in our primary schools developing their writing skills but also their confidence and their creativity. I look forward to keeping in touch with Tim and Sarah over the coming months to share with them the work produced by schools involved in our project.
    I feel inspired by the last two days and can’t wait to get started on this project with our primary schools – thanks again Tim and Sarah!

14. Martin says:

Thanks some great ideas to inspire our pupils.
    I am looking forward to putting more than a few of these to work in my classroom.

15. Gulev says:

Wow! Two fantastic sessions! Thank you Tim and Sarah for the wonderful training,I have learnt so much. I have really enjoyed the two days and feel confident to go back and share Myst with my colleagues and pupils. The training has been so exciting that I am looking forward to putting it into practice.

A beginning of a MYST creative journey………… can’t wait!!!!