West Pennard Primary, Glastonbury : Somerset

| October 19, 2010 | 15 Comments

The first, of a three day project, in Somerset, and a fantastic day at West Pennard Primary.

The project has become entitled Somer-Settings: Using ICT to Inspire Powerful writing.

The day started with 24 teachers and 61 Year 1 and 2 pupils in the hall – remarkable engagement and remarkable outcomes, including a high level balanced argument with a Year 2 girl.

A quick change around and we were joined by further visiting colleagues and 67 Year 5 and 6 pupils – Again, this lot flew…

Tony Wheat, ICT, Maths and Key Stage 2 Coordinator was kind enough to record his thoughts on the day:

Tim and Sarah visited us today for an ICT inspire day, funded by the Somerset ICT Team.

Tim did 2 demonstration lessons using Myst, working with children from Years 1+2 as well as 5+6.

The infant children were introduced to an unusual spiral object and thought of verbs and adverbs for the movement we would make to go up the spiral. They were then asked to imagine what was at the top of the spiral.

The children’s enthusiasm and engagement for the activity was incredible, as was the writing they did in response to exploring the game. Some of the Year 2 pupils produced half an A4 page of rich descriptive writing. The rich stimulus that the game provides clearly has such a positive impact on children’s enjoyment, enthusiasm and ability to write.

The Key Stage 2 pupils had a similar experience, using a place in the game as a stimulus for generating similes and metaphors. The sharing of the similes and metaphors at the end was particularly powerful.

Children that don’t perhaps normally have the confidence or, maybe, the ideas to share, really had the chance to shine and the writing that the children produced was of the highest quality.

One boy, when asked at the end of the session to stop and put his hand up to give himself a pat on the back alongside his classmates, was still writing with his other hand!

It is such a simple idea and so easy to put in place in your classroom. I can’t wait to explore some of the worlds and read some of the writing that my class do as a result!!!!!

The afternoon was spent working with some of the teachers and teaching assistants from the 14 invited schools, reflecting on the morning’s lessons and going further with ideas and approaches that engage and motivate pupils.

Then, after school, a twilight session with further staff looking at Wii games, Web2 technologies and so much more.

1. Dave Reynolds says:

Thanks very much for an inspirational hour or so of training after school this evening. Packed full of good ideas, plenty of references to useful websites and software to check out, and most of all FUN! Thanks again.

2. Sue Hodgetts says:

I think that one of the real strengths of this day was to actually be immersed in what the children were doing. I could see the learning from their point of view and I think it will have a huge impact on how I adapt my teaching. The resource ideas are so wide ranging there is definitely something for absolutely everyone. Thank you Tim and Sarah. Right, now to get onto Twitter… :)

3. Penny Cornish says:

A brilliant day- have just bought Mist 3 from amazon -had no money today!…. and am busy checking out some of the websites (whilst watching Strictly Come Dancing Take Two!). Just have to get my Year 6 up to level 5- A Challenge!

Penny Cornish

4. Maria Carr says:

‘Epic’ success, totally ‘awesome’ and ‘neat’ (borrowing my teenage daughter’s vocab). Enjoyed the jokes, funny voices and a flute solo on Mr Walker. Great suggestions about new stuff to try. I am particularly impressed by the Tootleville game. One question – what were we going to do with percussion instruments?

5. Jan says:

Thank you for fab day. Just spent some time on Wordle and then searched for other word cloud programmes Found one at http://www.abcya.com/word_clouds.htm which is written for educationalists perhaps it won’t get blocked by our efficient filtering system… will be giving word clouds a go with my class.

6. Jenny Marshfield says:

What a great day, lots of inspiration and excitement & that was just me!! Can you let me know where I can purchase the Myst game we used today. Thank you.

7. Naomi Hammerton says:

I absolutely loved today. I was lucky enough to have the children I teach (and children I have taught) be a part of the experience. It was wonderful to see how confident the children were in their own ability to write well and have unique ideas. I believe sometimes we are in danger of forgetting how lucky we are to be teaching children…and today I have been able to refresh myself with why I love my job. Fantastic tips, resources and fun. Thank you.

8. Tony Wheat says:

Thanks Tim and Sarah for such an engaging day packed full of ideas to enliven lessons and the children’s enjoyment of their learning. I have installed Myst and am off to explore!!!!!

9. Rosemary says:

Many thanks for an inspirational day. Can’t wait to try some of the ideas you have given me. It was lovely to see the children so engaged and to share their enthusiasm for writing.

10. Viv says:

A really enjoyable day with lots of inspiring ideas. I loved the sessions with the children and could really feel their enthusiasm. The day has left me with lots to think about and to try. Many thanks.

11. Lisa says:

After a busy day, it was a very intense hour! However once at home I couldn’t wait to investigate and share the fantastic web resources with my own kids! Will definitely reconsider my use of my ‘Learning Intention’!

12. Helen Morley says:

Thank you for a truly ‘inspiring’ day. It was a great opportunity to sit back and watch my class produce a really creative and imaginative piece of writing. Powerpoint here I come!

13. Jen Kelland says:

Huge thanks for a truly inspirational day – and just in time for half term when I might actually get a chance to spend some time exploring the fantastic sites you mentioned! I can’t wait to try out some of your ideas. Thanks again.

14. blog says:

Hi Jenny
    Glad you enjoyed today and found it useful. Shame you didn’t ask us today as we had some copies of games with us. You can get them on e-bay and Amazon. If you’re really stuck – drop us an email.
    ATB Tim

15. Andrea Hale says:

Thank you for a really enjoyable day – looking forward to exploring all the web sites and having fun!