Cranfold Confederation, Surrey: Day Two

| November 24, 2010 | 12 Comments

Following yesterday’s demonstration lessons at Cranleigh C of E Primary School, we are just down the road today, at Park Mead Primary School.

We spent our day working alongside colleagues from schools in the Cranfold Confederation. Teachers, support staff, TAs, LSAs, senior mangement, heads, deputies, from Foundation stage to the top of KS5, yet everybody was up for challenges and being a little creative with, and without, technology.

We investigated a lot of ways, to get pupils, of all ages and abilities, to take off and fly with their writing, and so much more.

One aspect we looked at was collaboration. PrimaryPad and Wallwisher being just two ways to encourage interaction in action.

1. David Evans says:

Thank you for an excellent day. Fun and full of great ideas that anyone could use tomorrow! I have already begun using some of the ideas for our next INSET by adding it to my notes to include.

There was a wealth of different suggestions, very well illustrated from games, to powerpoint, to great free downloads that could be used in all areas of the curriculum.

The children will be better off for staff having innovative, inspiring ideas.

2. Neil McAuliffe says:

Thank you both for an inspirational day. I can’t wait to see my kids faces (and their writing of course!) when we start diving into this!
    On top of the ICT and writing, I got a real feel for the importance and enjoyment of storytelling and giving children more opportunity to get into character – traditional skills that don’t cost a penny.

Thanks again – we have enough staff meeting and INSET material to keep us going for a long time. ☺

3. Tess Trewinnard says:

Thanks for an inspiring two days. We’re planning to use our next INSET day to play with all the materials you both introduced to us. We really liked the opportunity to see the children learning with you yesterday. What impressed me was that normally under confident children were willing to have a go.I think that if teachers are confident to take risks and try something new,to be creative and imaginative, then children will too. Really excellent CPD. Thanks to Di for organising this.

4. Lucy Spiers says:

Thank you both for such a fantastic day. I absolutely love the graphics on the game and find myself to be inspired and excited by it which is always a bonus when teaching. Hopefully my enthusiam for it will shine through like your’s Tim!
    The afternoon session was jam packed with wonderful tips and tricks which will make everyone at school look on in wonder and amazement. I’m sure the learners at St. Joseph’s will be able to engage in the things I am taking back with me, especially Switcheroo Zoo!

Thanks again.

5. Seamus Lynch says:

An inspirational day with a gorgeously enthusiastic man. Your passion and commitment to what you truly believe in is clear for all to see. So many fabulous ideas to try out, and so many ways to apply your ideas. This was in no way a case of a man trying to sell a product, but instead Tim was selling a philosophy! Resource after resource was mentioned and their applications explained; it was like watching Mary Poppins producing magical things from her bag of tricks. Thank you for brilliant and inspirational day.

6. Matthew Kemp says:

A truly inspirational day that I will never forget! The teaching ideas were astounding. The ICT resources and software that we were able to use were fantastic and entertaining. All of these were introduced whilst keeping the education of the children central to everything.
    I am already planning feedback for the staff at school.
    This was a great advertisement for teaching as it should be!!
    Thank you so much.

7. blog says:

Thank you all, for your lovely feedback.
    We really enjoyed our two days with you all.
    Keep up the excellent efforts
    Onwards Onwards
    Tim and Sarah

8. Di Elliot says:

Thank you for taking us on a non-stop roller coaster of enthusiasm and inspiration for the many pupils and staff who have been involved in the workshops and training over the 2 days. The comments above speak for themselves of the fire that you have lit across our schools and I can’t wait to see how this grows over the coming terms both within each school and across our confederation.
    Many thanks and enjoy the snow!

9. Robin Harrison says:

Just wanted to say thank you for a fantastic day. There are so many ideas and so many new ways of teaching that I don’t know where to start. Just brilliant.

10. Jane Tucker says:

Without a doubt one of the best training days I have ever attended. This was not just about inspiring children but inspiring teachers too. So many new things to try out. My 14 year old daughter was amazed at some of the things I showed her when I got home and can’t wait to incorporate them into her school work. Today a parent visited school to tell us about an exciting expedition he is making next year that he wants to share in some way with our pupils and instantly I started to think about some of the things we had learnt about on Wednesday, so the benefits have been immediate.
    Many thanks to both of you and to Di for organising it.

11. Mike Ransom says:

Just thought I’d add a comment to say that I have just done my first ‘Myst’ lesson with Year 8. They loved it. The beach scene threw up loads of ideas from it being the domain of an evil tooth harvesting demon to it being a realm where all lost things go, ruled by an evil overlord who feasts on the souls of the ‘disappeared’ and turns them into gremlins who live below the green bridge. Can’t wait to see what they make of the mysterious stranger in the tower! What’s more, I was being observed by a prospective teacher who was amazed by the writing produced by the students – so I looked like a genius. Thank you, Mr. Rylands!

hi Mike. Star man! Well done indeed – and you have influenced future teachers too!
    Love some of the ideas – really original.
    Where are you going to go next? (Don’t forget to stand still aswell though, eh?)
    Keep in touch and maybe I could see what they come up with, and “Big it Up” on the blog

all the best for now