Colne Valley Consortium, Essex : Day 1

| February 28, 2011 | 7 Comments

Had a good day yesterday exploring the border between Essex and Suffolk. One area, Dedham Vale, is know as Constable Country because John Constable (11 June, 1776 – 31 March, 1837) the English Romantic painter, is known for his landscape paintings of Dedham Vale, the area surrounding his home. “I should paint my own places best”, he wrote to his friend John Fisher in 1821, “painting is but another word for feeling”.

Today, we had a great day at The Stoke by Nayland Hotel, Colchester with over 130 delegates attending from 12 primary school and one secondary school, located in Essex around the Braintree Colchester area.  The Colne Valley Consortium of schools are a group of small schools who meet up yearly, to liaise with colleagues from other schools for collective professional development training.  Our visit was triggered by their joint interest in developing inspirational, creative writing within their schools.

Well done to colleagues from Bulmer St Andrews Primary School, St Giles SchoolHedingham School, Stanley Drapkin Primary School, St Andrew’s Great Yeldham, Belchamps St Paul’s Primary School, De Vere CP School, St Peter’ Primary School, Gosfield CP SchoolColne Engaine Primary School, Ridgewell CE School, St John the Baptist, Pebmarsh.

Thank you to all here today, and to Maria Trappit for organizing our visit. More tomorrow…

1. Liz Mathieson says:

What a fab day! Sooooooooooooo many new ideas that have my little brain buzzing!

Thank you!

2. Sue Nicholl says:

A great day with some really good ideas for bringing our writing to life and bringing life to our writing! I especially loved exploring the virtual worlds and imagining how these could be used in the classroom. Thanks Tim and co!

3. Belynda says:

I really enjoyed today’s course. I have downloaded many programmes as recommended and made a wordle for my son for his homework! I have also been able to use powerpoint with text boxes, thank you Sarah, I think this tool will be invaluable in my classroom. I am already used to using a variety of visual stmulii with my class but Myst landscapes will probably blow my children’s minds nearly as much as they enthralled me. Thank you.

4. Julie says:

Thankyou for an inspiring day, full of ideas that we can pick up and use straight away. I have managed to make the powerpoint with text boxes this evening and love tagalaxy.

5. Tricia Gilbey says:

Thanks Tim, lots of new ways to inspire our pupils – I look forward to exploring the new tools you have given us. And loved the idea of the LO and behold…I thought some of your ideas would fit extremely well with a mantle of the expert approach too. Have you investigated that?

6. Sarah L says:

Inspiring, clever and innovative approaches introduced to break down barriers for children to learn and write, excellently delivered so as to avoid boredom and inertia setting in! Individual advice given too, thanks for your time.

7. An exceptional and very successful day, using ICT for creative writing, that has inspired teachers to investigate different approaches in their classrooms. Must and will recommend days 1 & 2 to other headteachers organising school cluster training days. Thank you!