The Cedars Primary School, Cranford, Hounslow

| March 8, 2011 | 15 Comments

A sunny day of explorations at The Cedars Primary School, Cranford, Hounslow.

The Cedars is a special school for children who have social, emotional and behavioural difficulties, which is maintained by the London Borough of Hounslow and takes children from four to eleven years of age.

This school is full of some very special children and some very special staff. 🙂

Any, and every, school is full of challenges. It is how we respond to those challenges, and develop the confidence to tackle new ones, that set people apart. All here today we were up for taking off and flying.

Facing new experiences, and handling change, can be a challenge in its own right. As teachers, we need to be aware of the times, (as my father once said, when he was promoted from being a teacher), to “Quit whilst we’re a head“.

It is also valuable to know how to change direction, tactics, and approach to a lesson, before the “moving swiftly on” stage becomes essential. This applies to adults, and children, in any learning experience.

Our first group travelled with us to a mystical village. As there were quite a few of us in the hall, and the experience was unusual, we had a lot to discuss. ( 😉 ).
It was when we changed tactics, and layout of the room, then headed in to the village, that this group shone. I haven’t seen questioning, role  playing, imagination, as detailed and powerful as this lot showed. Really impressive interaction and cherishing of thought. Well done indeed.

The ability to focus after a noisy experience, shows self control. (Social etiquette and group work, is one of the most powerful, long term, uses of these virtual games). Well done all.

Our second group took a voyage with us in a very different style. We started, as a group, on a rocky surface, before deciding whether to leap in to the sea below, or turn and explore the very organic scene that stretched out behind us.

We turned, as one, and explored using different (verb/adverb clauses) methods. Some tiptoed cautiously. Some even danced madly. But, we all made it up on to a higher level and found out what WAS at the the top of this strange spinning contraption.

Again, the “group as one” element is powerful. Knowing how to self police, and exercise self control, so that we can all enjoy an experience, is a valuable life skill. Again- Well done all.

Thank you Mary for hosting a thoroughly enjoyable day. Mary, who is @ebd35 on Twitter, also keeps a website here: ebd35.wordpress.com/

Sites That Link to this Post

1. More than Myst! « Adventures in Learning | April 25, 2011
  1. Mary Farmer says:

What an awe inspiring day I have just experienced! Not only were the children taken on the most wonderful journey in both the sessions but the staff were as well in the work you did with us after school. Huge, huge thanks to you and Sarah for spending the day with us.
    I can’t wait to do some follow up work with my class.

2. Jo Watson says:

Very useful INSET this evening. I wish I’d been able to see the second session with the children. Many thanks!

3. Katie says:

Thank you for such a motivating INSET. The activities and sites suggested were great and very inspiring. I look forward to taking them on board in my lessons.

4. Danbowen says:

This sounds like an inspirational day. Well done tim, Mary and the kids

5. Tyrique says:

Thank you for a fantastic, excellent day and thank you for the educational day and for coming to our school. I liked going through the wonderful world on the board and looking at Mr.Walker.

6. JJ says:

Dear Mr Rylands
    Thank you for coming to our school. It was very interesting. It was certainly a good way to spend the morning.

7. Joseph says:

Thank you tim rylands for coming to the Cedars Primary School I had a lot of fun. I liked the part when you played a song with your walking stick. It was cool!

8. Ro-Sean says:

Dear Tim Rylands,
    Thank you for coming to our school and doing a great lesson. I really liked the game. I loved it. It was a great day. thank you for coming to the cedars prlmary school.

9. Alfie says:

Dear Tim Rylands your teaching is the most unusual but not in a bad way. It’s the best in the world. I like the fact that your work has no wrong or right answers. It is good for kids like me You are fantastic. I don’t know how the press don’t follow you everywhere you go. Come to vist again soon and bring mr walker, he really made me laugh having to guess what he is used for. Please come back soon
    From Alfie
    p.s you can come to my village anytime.

10. Pat says:

To mr Rylands, Thank you for coming to The Cedars Primary School You were fantastic and a big thank you from Pat
    ps good flute playing!

Thank YOU lads (and Cher) for your suuuuuuuuuuuperb ideas, imagination and involvement in (particularly the second half of… ;-D ) the lesson. I haven’t seen, or heard such detailed, realistic and enjoyable questioning of a couple of characters, as I saw when you interviewed the two “villagers”.
    Keep up your excellent efforts (and the admirably quiet, and focussed, way you worked in your class in the afternoon). You are writers, thinkers, creators, and inventive minds.
    Well done all
    Tim and Sarah

12. Tony says:

I liked the stories that you told and you did the best flute playing I ever heard!

13. Jack says:

Thank you for coming. I really enjoyed ‘walking’ around the village. I really liked the part when you explained that your walking stick was a flute.
    I liked how you got us to talk about the scenery.

14. Rosie (Pupil) says:

I Love the teachers here they are so kind ☻☺☻☺☻☺ Especially Miss Blacklock and miss Hyde.
    (And miss farmer is the best I.C.T Teacher.)
    (And Mister Stuart is the best ever P.E Teacher)

(And all the teachers a BIG,BIG,BIG thanks to all of you.)