Cluster INSET at Kirk Hallam Community Technology and Sports College, Ilkeston

| October 26, 2012 | 12 Comments

A day of daring, digital, delights, after our analogue adventures, yesterday.

Many colleagues, teachers Learning Support Assistants, from across the schools within the Kirk Hallam – Ilkeston Cluster, including Mapperley Primary, Scargill Primary, Dallimore Primary, Stanley Common Primary, St. Andrew’s Stanley, joined us at Kirk Hallam Community Technology and Sports College, Ilkeston, to explore some technological wizardry.

Dave Cates, from Ladywood Primary School, shared his thoughts on part of this second day:

Having the chance to be an active participant, alongside the children, in a lesson led by Tim yesterday not only enthused me but  also generated many questions about how to ‘magpie’ (Ladywood speak for unadulterated stealing) ideas and resources and then how to apply them to the demands of Year 6 Literacy coverage.

The enthisiasm with which virtually all of the children enagaged with the experience was a joy to watch – oh to be able to do it with non-fiction (said the slightly cynical me, after all it is one day to go before half term).However the delight in seeing a number of the less confident readers stand in front of their peers to share their writing confirmed the impact of their experience.

Day 2 has seen that, and many other questions, beginning to be answered, well perhaps not answered rather opportunities provided that might lead towards ways of improving the engagement of the children as writers of  wider text types – the interactive nature of the technology will grab the attention, how best to sustain this and guide  it towards producing that finished article? That said, should a finished article be necessary, (as I said more questions!)

Tim is very clear that the technology should support the experiences children have not replace them, – there can be no replacement for the doing however when some have a paucity of experience from which to draw, – technology, combined with the sensory experiences that we do supply, can only help them on the journey to developing the basic skills of oracy and thence to utilising their ‘scribbly sticks’ with increasing confidence and effectiveness.

By lunchtime my brain is full but positively so – that won’t surprise many of my colleagues, – and I need to reflect upon which one I will engage with & explore before moving on to the next & the next & the… you get my drift!

Well done all of those who kept up with us today, as we whizzed through, almost too much, today. Enjoy your holidays.

1. Many thanks for a very useful day- much software downloaded already, and ready to have a look through.

2. Suzanne Gardner says:

Fantastic day. Some super ideas shared. I can’t wait to get back in the classroom to inspire some more children. Thank you.

Thank you for your feedback – Let us know what you try first and how you get on 😀

Thank you for your very thoughtful feedback Suzanne.
    We would love to find out what you use back in your classroom – keep in touch

5. Aimee Nind says:

Once again, I was in awe of this magnificent orator, I couldn’t help but be captivated! The amount of resources shared today was staggering and I’m sure I’ll be dipping in for new things in the locked page for years to come. As a mum to two ks2 aged boys ( both find creative writing a struggle) I feel I’ve stumbled across a treasure chest of magic wands! Santa will definitely be bringing some form of Myst down my chimney this year!!
    There is so much that will help the differing ability groups I work with and I’m quite excited to find out what their response will be!
    Who knew there was a ‘simple english’ version of Wikipedia?! Not me. I feel like I’ve gained a whole new brain of wisdom, I just wish school was on Monday and I could try some out. (alas, a week off!! 😉 )
    Huge thankyou to Sarah and Tim for allowing me into your chamber of secrets! A truly eloquent and skilful pair of teachers

WoW! Thank you so much, Aimee, for this very kind feedback
    We are so glad that you enjoyed the day, and that you found some useful things to try (or play with ;-D )
    ENJOY your holiday and do do some analogue things too
    Have fun and keep in touch with what you get up to when you DO get back to school
    Cheers
    Tim and Sarah

7. Anna Fitzpatrick says:

Thank you, I’ve gained so many resources! From a special needs angle, I hope to use lots of the different sites to help my children progress in their learning life!

Thank you Anna – A lot of the things we explored today, are great across ages, and abilities, but you are right: a LOT of things to try out with your children who have some need of your special help
    Please, we’d love it if you could let us know how you get on.
    Have fun

9. A very good day lots of brilliant ideas and will save us hours trying to find things. Already downloaded and tried some ideas and its Saturday!!

Brill! Glad you found some things to play with that will be useful 😀
    Keep in touch and let us know how you get on

11. Louise grainger says:

WOW! What an awe inspiring 2 days last week was! having been a Teaching Assistant at Ladywood for 11 Years I am always looking for new ideas to help the children explore the creativity, and boy… you certainly showed me so much! I am busy exploring so many things at the moment and can’t wait for half term to finish to put everything into practice!!! You’re a true inspiration to everyone who meets you and I am pleased to have had the pleasure. Thank you so much.

Hey Louise – Thank you for your very kind feedback
    We would LOVE to hear what you try and how things go
    I hope you will keep in touch and let us know
    Have fun