‘New technologies to enhance teaching & learning’, Staffordshire

| November 7, 2012 | 33 Comments

In this goal driven age, we could think that education is imparting a body of knowledge, rather than a shared journey of discovery. There are so many pressures put upon educators these days that enjoyment, inspiration, creativity, and fun can be forced out of the classroom.

We need to inspire young people and fire their imaginations; enhance their creativity and confidence so they can pick ideas up and start to juggle with them; encourage resourcefulness through challenge, but also the ability to reflect, change and benefit from the experience of others; to motivate a love of learning for life.

Fascination is a tool that can be easily neglected.

This digital world, when mixed with the analogue, brings such potential for communication. Technology, though, is also not the only answer… but it can provide some fantastic opportunities.

Great to spend another day with a team who are clear on the power of creative, inventive and imaginative teaching.

Thank you to Diane Gaunt, Consultant for Education Transformation, Quality Learning Services, Staffordshire County Council, for organising our visit today.

Our morning was spent alongside the Staffordshire advisors. As Diane says, they find themselves in a in a different world now because funding has gone to schools, and yet continue to desire a lots of different ideas, and tools, when working with schools.

Diane points out, “We are very conscious of the need to be “in the know” and be able to guide schools – of all phases- towards using the ‘new technologies’ well, to enhance teaching and learning- but it can be difficult to keep up, let alone lead”!

The Staffordshire team are a superb, broad ranging team of very experienced trainers, advisers, SIP advisers, from early years to sixth form, consultants who support in the classroom to those with inspector type roles.

Diane called it “A tall order”! In reality, a lot of the principles & techniques apply right the way through from the little snotty ones, all the way up to the top of the big spotty ones.

Staffordshire schools are beginning to invest in the use of iPads to support teaching and learning and the ICT Team are planning to create an Apple classroom for training to schools in the West Midlands. Investment has been made in a number of mobile classrooms for schools to loan on a daily or weekly basis. Forthcoming events include the launch of the Apple Centre and courses on offer will include:

Introductory sessions – getting to know your iPad – Get Animated – Creating animations to support learning – Every Child an Author – Using Book Creator in the classroom for project based work. – Lights, Camera, Action! – Creating Movies – Be a Rock Star for a Day – Produce multi-track music recordings using Garageband – Podcasting in the classroom – Explore how podcasts can be created and shared in the classroom environment and beyond. – If you are interested in any of these opportunities, contact Jill Gosnay on 01785 277994 or jill.gosnay@staffordshire.gov.uk

1. chris says:

Very interesting can’t wait to have the time to explore the links

2. Deb barnes says:

3. Shaun Smith says:

Thanks for a great session. Good to have lots of ideas to follow up work I am already doing with the use of ICT in Science lessons.
    As a reluctant pickpocket, I thought the speaking exercise with the translator particularly good (even though it was low tech!)
    Once, again thankyou for a great session.
    Regards,

Shaun Smith

4. Elizabeth Huggett says:

A super session covering many useable and easily accessible ICT resources, many of which I will try out and consider ways to use in schools and with children.
    Refreshing and refreshed.
    Many thanks.

5. Vanessa Brown says:

Many thanks for a very informative morning. I would like to explore how to use ppt more creatively.

6. Sally Tippett says:

Thank you, brilliant morning, I just need to keep teachers motivated and keen to try things out!
    Thanks!

7. Judith Till says:

Inspiring and useful ideas to support pupils and teachers.

8. Diane Gaunt says:

Brilliant! We’ve gone away inspired to try lots of new things, to have fun and to be even better at supporting schools and children. Thank you so much for a great morning.

9. Sarah Huggins says:

A great morning thank you. Some really inspiring ideas to try. Thank you.

10. Andrew says:

Lots of new ideas… Time to explore and share. Thank you!

11. Ruth Turvey says:

A fantastic course so many ideas – need time to go home and explore now.

12. Cath says:

Brilliant morning cant wait to try out some of the tools highlighted. It was fantastic to have the opportunity to be updated with IT tools that would take hours to find independently.
    And it helps me (a member of the y-generation)feel like I’m catching up the i-generation!
    Thanks

13. Caroline says:

Absolutely loved it today – so inspiring and useful! I have already used lino it and plan to have a go with other things asap!

14. Sally Tippett says:

Tim
    You showed a picture today of the structure of a blog, where can I find it?
    Sally

15. Steve Day says:

It’s rare to sit thorough a training session where you are constantly challenged to think – in a good way – how what is being presented can be used to enhance the learning of pupils in a classroom.

A great day with lots of thought provoking ideas. Many thanks … I’ll not look at Myst the same way again!

Steve Day

16. James AKA Mrs Pickpocket says:

My head has still not stopped buzzing with all of the ideas. I am definitely going to join twitter as a result of today and look for ways to enhace learning through use of ICT. Thank you.

17. Ellen Godfrey says:

What a great afternoon. Am using some ideas tomorrow. Will certainly be adding some into our next English unit.

18. Angela Cloves-Hayden says:

Thanks for a fantastic afternoon. I have already looked at all the links and feel energised about improving lessons by using some of the ideas. Will follow on Twitter!

19. Karen says:

Thank you for an informative and enjoyable training session. Lots of ideas to use back in the classroom.

Many thanks

20. Kerri says:

Really loved the morning session. Had fun this evening with our kids trying out a few sites. Even managed to create a moving & tragic zombie Puppet Pal adventure. Who needs the tv when you’ve got an IPad eh!

21. Val Hall says:

A truly inspiring session even for someone who is struggling to keep up with the children!

22. Karen Butcher says:

Fantastic afternoon with lots of ideas that I will share when I’m back at school.

Thanks for a fantastic afternoon.

23. Sally says:

A fantastic morning with so many wonderful websites to explore. You’ve unlocked a door for me which I’m going to step through and hopefully take others with me. ICT has come along way since the 480Z!

24. Vikki says:

Fab day, super resources. Thinking about blogging what blog would you recommend using with pupils given esafety aspect and so on…

25. Lorna says:

An incredibly inspiring morning and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love using technology to make learning more creative and have tried lots of things in training and in schools but there was so much more to learn from your session which will keep me going for ages and I have lots of ideas of how this can feed into projects already.I especialy liked the fact that some of the sites you showed were from all over the world!!! Thank you!

26. Jill Gosnay says:

Great to hear about new ideas to keep everyone inspired and motivated. Thank you.

27. Carol says:

An interactive and lively morning that encouraged all to participate. I am looking forward to exploring the tools you introduced us to and then signposting these to support school improvement for pupils with special needs in Staffordshire and further afield!

28. Jan says:

ICT to Inspire and you definitely achieved that! Thank you both for a very useful, exciting and entertaining morning.
    Thank you.

29. Roland says:

Tim, many thanks for the session on Wednesday. I’ll get my head out of the sand and animate the ostrich, just give me the lynx..

30. Andrew Hields says:

Really enjoyed the afternoon and came away feeing inspired with all the ideas to use with the children back in school.

31. Duncan says:

Great ideas can’t wait to use them.

32. Duncan says:

Have I missed it but did we get the list of useful links from the day’s training?

33. Mohammed says:

It’ was a wonderful session and you really inspired me Tim.I really like tag galaxy website, will explore the rest of the links soon and I will of course share it with my colleagues

Many thanks