BETT Arena, ExCel, London ~ Back To Their Future

| February 2, 2013 | 24 Comments

Thank you to all of those who joined us in the BETT Arena, at the ExCel, in London, a 1000-seater, circular theatre, for a whiz through 88 of our favourite tools for bringing learning even more alive.

In this goal driven age, we could think that education is imparting a body of knowledge, rather than a shared journey of discovery. There are so many pressures put upon educators these days that enjoyment, inspiration, creativity, and fun can be forced out of the classroom.

But we do need to inspire young people and fire their imaginations; enhance their creativity and confidence, so they can pick ideas up and start to juggle with them; encourage resourcefulness through challenge, but also the ability to reflect, change and benefit from the experience of others; ~ to motivate a love of learning for life.

Fascination is a tool that can be easily neglected. This digital world, when mixed with the analogue, brings such potential for communication. Robots courtesy of Aldebaran Robotics and Active Robots – Thank you!

Technology is not the only answer… but, it does open up some remarkable opportunities, to extend teaching and learning styles.

We looked at many, potentially useful, Web2 tools and software (most of it free), hand-held devices and more, – but with an eye on quality learning as the focus, rather than the latest gadget; ‘what is said, rather than what is used to say it’.

And who better to say it than the voice of Siri – Jon Briggs. We had the pleasure of meeting, and being introduced to the Arena, by the man himself!

The event was an amazing experience. We thank all those who came along and those who were there in spirit if not in person, and for all the very kind feedback – THANK YOU!

Again, thanks to all those who helped us turn this big empty space in to a digital time travelling playground. 88 mph!!

p.s. We have been touched by the remarkable amount of gorgeous feedback we have received after this session, via email, Twitter, Facebook, and other methods. A few people have written some thoughtful reflections on blog posts too. Just a couple here: Thank you to Barry Corrigan (@MrMalcontent) for his truly thoughtful, and encouraging, words HERE. Oliver Quinlan (@OliverQuinlan) Live Blogged in his inimitable, fast paced, style.

1. Emma Keeler says:

Truly inspirational. Taken liads of pictures of resources to try back at school.

2. Lucy says:

Working at BETT today and got to listen to this amazing talk. It was so inspiring and engaged every single person in the room. Already downloaded the apps mentioned and very keen to learn a lot more about everything. Wonderful to listen to you speak too and the only talk where I saw everybody laughing so much!

3. Daniel Siggs says:

I am a student primary teacher, and found the talk really useful and interesting. Loads of fantastic ideas and techniques to try out 🙂
    Thank you!

4. Belinda says:

A brief sit down in the hectic 4 days of BETT gave me the chance to listen in awe listening to Tim. He gave me inspiration, awe and wonder, practical ideas to share and the chance to think back to what is important in learning for us all today. Thank you so much

5. phoebe says:

Hearing Tim speak today was amazing .I will definitely tell other people about the websites.My favourite was tag galaxy. Seeing the pictures come flying in was great.
    Thanks

6. Anne B-M says:

Came to BETT wishing I knew more about ICT. After listening to you I realised that learning from the kids is the answer. Thanks for an inspirational talk, even though my feet are killing me now. You made a great start to a brilliant day.

7. Genkijen says:

Inspiring as always . Totally worth getting up early and travelling down for . More so than the various trade stalls as well . Now need to look through all the resources that you shared and choose the ones that will work well for me, you jogged my memory on a few that I haven’t looked at for while as well . Thank you !

8. Mr S says:

attended bett today and enjoyed it immensley,the best bit was the inspiring tim rylands lecture😊 i’m not a teacher but i need people to learn so took away the #techbreak idea plusvmany things to ponder too

9. Nats clark says:

Thanks! I’ve got loads of ideas to incorporate into my lessons. Can’t wait!

10. Milly Gandy says:

Couldnt make it to BETT – shame its not open on a Sunday – how can we get transcripts from lectures / list of highlighted apps ?!

11. B Corrigan says:

Left me gasping for air, again, Tim! Thank you for such a great presentation in BETT Arena yesterday. I had an absolute ball and it all comes from your enthusiasm and drive! Great ideas and resources shared with us all once again!

Loved the bicycle, as well!

Best quote of the show:
    ‘If an answer can be Googled, then the question wasn’t good enough!’

12. Tom Holder says:

There were LOADS of new ideas that I’m now eager to play around with and use with my Year 6 class. Thank you for an inspirational morning.

13. Theresa Luff says:

Wonderful presentation that I wish more could have seen. Will look forward to discussing it with all and sundry back at work.

14. Anne says:

In the words of Danny Boyle “Thanks Tim”! No really, thanks for doing all the hard work so that I can go into school armed with really good websites & ideas! We all enjoyed your unique delivery, with humour and ….. style!

15. DJH says:

Thanks Tim, loved the talk, really inspiring, and gave me loads of ideas and websites to explore with the kids back at school.

16. Amazing talk, can’t wait to share all the ideas with my staff . . . looks like I’ll need to beg another ICT staff meeting!!!

17. Francesca says:

I am a graduate primary teacher and after listening to Tim’s talk at Bett on Saturday I was left totally inspired and motivated about how to engage my pupils through the use of ICT. Thank you Tim for your inspiration and for all the great links that you gave out during your talk. They will be extremely useful in my classroom.

18. Gina says:

Loved your presentation, do you know if there is a video of it?
    Can’t wait to use some of the 88…..
    thanks!

19. Tom Holder says:

This was my first time at Bett and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Tim’s seminar was my particular highlight of my day down in the big smoke (apart from the Rugby and falling asleep on the train home but that’s another story).

Tim has provided people with loads of practical ideas and free tools to aid teaching and learning. As teachers, what more could we ask for? Thanks Tim & Sarah for an inspirational morning.

20. Tom Whitehead says:

One acquaintance from Camp Ed. said to me.”This is absolutely mind-blowing.Just spot on.I don’t really have to see anything else now although I will and with a better perspective”.
    I agree but I would also like to see a certain Mr G absorb this.
    Best Regards and Thank You for giving us so many good links, so much common sense, such an example and so much hope.
    Tom

21. @mrswickpe says:

Got to see my educational idol, Mr Tim Rylands doing what he does best, inspiring, engaging and sharing the wonders of the Internet to make learning fun and innovative! A truly fantastic presentation filled with wit, humour and of course the gems of cyber space! Great work as usual and definitely my highlight of BETT 2013! Many thanks!

22. Diana Aben says:

Thank you for this inspirational presentation on the BETT-show on saturday morning. I loved it.
    The theme was perfect, the story was logic and it was fun to listen to your insprirational story. Only your presentation was worth to make the trip to the BETT-show from Holland to the UK.

23. Kaz Anja says:

Fantastic presentation loved every minute of it, After months of negative press about teachers i was feeling a bit down but after Tims presentation I feel alive again. i would love to have a link to the apps mentioned, ive tried the bitly link mentioned on sat but keeps coming up with error!! has anyone got another link to the information within the presentation. Also is there a link to the video of presentation as i would love to play it again

24. Greg Western says:

Tim has been an inspiration to my teaching right back to University it was great to see his latest presentation at BETT. He filled the arena with enthusiasm and filled us with so much inspiration and enthusiasm I think Ill need a DeLorean to go back in time just to take it all in. Awesome presentation !!!