‘IT to Support Literacy’ Conference, Leicester

| February 7, 2014 | 80 Comments

A pleasure to be here at King Power Stadium, Leicester City Football, to lead the morning session for the Whatever it Takes (WiT)  ‘IT to Support Literacy’ Conference here in Leicester, and to then close the conference with a final note.

With the key focus for today being about reading, and literacy, we explored the many Web2 tools and  the use of computers games that can inspire and enhance the development of reading, and writing, in children of all ages and abilities.

A creative, interactive session around developing imaginative ways of using ICT to enhance learning in schools.

We had the joy of eventually catching up with the team from ‘Teach Your Monster to Read‘, a free and incredibly valuable resource we have been sharing with schools all over the country. Teach your Monster to Read is a free game that helps children to practise their phonics and reading skills.

The game challenges them to explore a fictional world and to complete a series of enjoyable challenges. These challenges offer many opportunities for the children to develop their listening skills as they match letters to sounds.

Delegates had the opportunity to browse various exhibitions and attend learning workshops. The conference was supported by a range of external providers, who showcased innovative products and services which support literacy development both within the classroom and beyond.

All providers were joined by an existing school practitioner who has experience of using and developing their product or service within their own classroom. They presented in partnership so delegates had the opportunity to hear firsthand about the direct impact the product has had on a child’s learning and development.

The conference was targeted at all members of staff who feel their vulnerable learners or more specifically, their reluctant readers could benefit from the opportunity of alternative and creative learning methods.

Thank you to Ellen Lee – Project Manager, Whatever it Takes. Whatever it Takes (WiT) is the Leicester city-wide reading initiative dedicated to ensuring every child in Leicester is reading. It was established since 2009 and was formed in partnership between Leicester City Schools, Leicester City Council and is Managed by the School Development Support Agency.

Given the ever changing and developing world of technology in education, Whatever it Takes (WiT) provides schools the opportunity to learn more about some of the effective and creative ways in which ICT can support a child’s learning and development, with a specific focus on literacy.

1. Clare Haywood says:

Thank you so much a truly inspiring day. Lots of wonderful new ideas to use and share, as well as revisiting some old ones with fresh eyes. Will definitely be trying out the new way of using power point.

2. Marianne Parker says:

My mind is swirling with all the amazing ideas from today’s conference!
    I don’t know what to try first! Thank you.

3. Minakshi Gadhok says:

WOW!!!! Thank you so much for such an informative and interesting course packed with full of fantastic ideas. Looking forward to share with colleagues and using it myself.

4. Paul Stapleford says:

Wow… What an amazing day. So many amazing ideas and new software to visit. You really have inspired me! Many thanks to both of you for a fab day.

5. An awe-inspiring pacey, yet informative, presentation. Lots of excellent ideas – Thanks.

6. Cate says:

Practical, informative, inspirational and entertaining!!!! Cannot wait to use ideas for settings and watch the children’s faces. Thank you both for a fantastic course.

7. Eddie Pickering says:

Thanks for all the great ideas today! I can’t wait to utilise some of the tools that you showcased. I have finally been on a course/seminar that has engaged and entertained me.

8. Angela James says:

Thank you for a great day. You really inspired me to update my IT skills and given me some brilliant ideas for the college. Can’t wait to tell my colleagues all about it!!

9. Fatima says:

Thank you for all your inspiring and thought provoking ideas. Can not wait to go back to school to share with staff and children.

10. Molly Padzinski says:

Many thanks for a wonderfully informative day.It has given me so great ideas to try in the glass room..

11. Julie Goddard says:

Thank you for a great day I was certainly inspired! Can’t wait to use and share all the fab ideas you showed us.

12. Jessica says:

Thank you so much for a great morning full of ideas we can all start using immediately. I particularly enjoyed learning how to make PowerPoint not look like itself.

13. Aird Ilersic says:

A fantastic day full of interesting, thought provoking, ideas. Has given me lots to think about and I look forward to implementing some of the ideas learnt from today into my teaching. Children and staff will benefit from this enormously. Thank you!

14. Sarah Farn says:

Thank you for a truly awe inspiring conference. I can’t wait to amaze my students. I spent last night practising my new skills on PPT. You made me think about how I’m going to use ICT in the classroom from now on.

15. Jackie says:

What a fantastic day! Lots of fantastic new sites to try. Can’t wait to try tag galaxy and panaramas. Also learnt things about PowerPoint that I didn’t know you could do.

16. Rachael c says:

Lots of wonderful ideas! It provided me with a fresh insight on how to use ICT more creatively in my school.

17. Fiona Paterson says:

Thank you for a brilliant day! I am looking forward to trying out all the ideas and developing them in the classroom. A really inspiring course!

18. Jo says:

Very inspiring.Can’t wait to pass all the amazing ideas on to staff.
    Thank you!

19. Stephen Beardsmore says:

Where to begin? I would like to say a huge thank you to both Tim and Sarah for a truly inspirational conference on Friday 7th February. I have never experienced a presentation that fully engaged me from start to end. I genuinely believe that my ‘bag of tricks’ has been topped up with a range of stimulating apps, software and ideas to use in the classroom; I’ve already booked the next few PDMs at our school to cascade this invaluable information to my colleagues. I was particularly impressed by taggalaxy, ivona and the ability to make differentiated and engaging writing frames within PowerPoint.

I am looking forward to receiving the resources attached to the conference and I would also be very excited to have a look at the PowerPoint presentation that Tim delivered – it was mesmerising; completely different to how I’ve ever seen PowerPoint being used.

Thank you once again for your motivational words and endless hints and tips for inspiring our learners.

20. Sian says:

Thank you for giving me a fresh new insight into how to use ICT! I can’t wait to start using all the free websites in my lessons. The children are going to love them!

Unfortunately, the PowerPoint is far too big (and complex) to send, or us, any where other than my laptop.
    We hope you have some fun trying out the ideas. We would love to know what you try first.

22. Jo Glover says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! What a wealth of useful sites, information and exciting ways to promote Literacy skills. The only problem now is sifting through it all and preparing to feed back to the rest of school…I think it might take more than one session!!

23. Karen Penfold says:

What a great day at the King Power stadium; so many new and inspiring ideas to try with our students. Not quite sure where to start, but, start we will!. Thank you so much to Tim and Sarah. Your talk was both enlightening and entertaining, can’t remember when I have ever been so engaged on a course!

24. Julie Walker says:

Opened my eyes, ears, mind and wrote on my heart. Inspiring or what………
    Will be passing your links to our teaching staff.
    Thanks for a wonderful day.

25. Toby Taylor says:

Really enjoyed the day and feel inspired to try out many of the ideas that were shown!

26. Luke says:

Absolutely awesome. I’m currently sat on my PPA time trying working some of your ideas into my planning 😉

27. Dannie says:

Brilliant day! Your resource and teaching ideas are inspired and your talk was engaging and fun. The teachers at the conference have so much to take back to the classroom.

It was wonderful to meet you both at last. Thank you again for helping us get the game out to more teachers and children. Dannie – Teach Your Monster to Read.

Teach Your Monster To Read will continue to travel with us…

29. Hemant says:

Thank you for a inspiring day and the ample level of useful websites we can use in school. Our favourite bits of the day were power point writing frames, 360 cities and stereo graphics.
    We look forward to using the translation in accent tool which will be particularly useful in our multicultural school.
    We look forward to receiving the resources!

30. Denise says:

Now half term is here, I am busy creating multi-modal powerpoints to help me deliver CPD, cascading some of these brilliant ideas to our staff. Thank you so much…