Teaching & Learning Conference, Dudley ~ A full on practical day

| February 26, 2014 | 12 Comments

Today, we had dun, at The Windsor Business Centre, with 24 teachers from schools in the Dudley area, and a full~on practical day with a focus on the use of ICT to ignite writing. Looking at how innovative approaches to using ICT can help children to acquire a transferable set ofย  skills to apply to a variety of situations, enabling them that they may access the technology for them to apply it in a creative manner. In other words…. teachers experiencing, first hand, the joys and challenges, of working inventively, and collaboratively.

Thank you to Rebecca Cox, head of Lutley Primary School, and Jo Turner, head of Lapal Primary School, for inviting us, and coordinating today’s event.

A huge amount was achieved with just a few laptops, mobile devices, some cameras and a vast amount of imagination! Having the chance to have a practical hands-on experience, as teachers and support staff, is a powerful learning experience in its own right.

It also gave us the chance to investigate ways to expand our own teaching ~ looking at many different ways to motivate, inspire and enliven the curriculum ~ experimenting with multi-media, as well as various apps and gadgets freely available online, meant we could have been sucked in to a focus on the technology ~ but folk today kept a clear eye on “the tale (and learning) rather than the tech”.

Groups worked together, to create a practical presentation, based upon a story, and using online tools to manipulate, create and modify images, words and audio. The folk here today were up for all the challenges we threw at them. Each group presented their ideas in such different ways. Well done all!

1. Emma says:

What a fantastic day! Very inspiring and met some great people! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Adam S says:

A really inspiring day. I haven’t been on such a well run course for so many years.

3. Ste Watts says:

Thanks for a very informative day, I’m looking forward to see how my class will run with some of these fantastic resources! Steven (aka Ste)

4. Gavin says:

Thanks all for a great day – some insightful and imaginative ways to use technology in the classroom.

Today has made me stop and reflect on just how daunting tasks can be when we are expected to produce something of worth. We had a wealth of time and felt the PANIC – we quite often expect children to produce wonderful pieces of work in a fraction of this time.

Glad you enjoyed it too

That’s great to hear Emma
    Hope you can keep in touch with them

We’d love to hear what you try
    Keep in touch

We value your open reflection
    I know you expect the best from your children and give them every opportunity to achieve it
    Glad, despite that learning moment about panic, that you enjoyed your day
    All the best
    Tim and Sarah

9. Jill Cadman says:

What a great day, thank you Tim and Sarah.
    This is the second of your courses I have been lucky enough to attend.
    I have again been inspired and will share the ideas with colleagues at school
    Jill

10. Marie says:

What a fantastic day, returned to work following the course for a staff meeting and was buzzing!! Can’t wait to share my new learning with both my children and all the staff. Sitting at home now trying out all the new websites and tools – planning to use some in my lessons tomorrow! Thank you both for an inspirational day!
    Marie

11. Sarah says:

Thanks for a really creative interesting day. I am looking forward to using some of the great websites you showed us with my class, they’ll love them!

12. Claire Marsh says:

Thank you for a great day. What fab tips, freebies and time to explore great resources.

I can’t wait to see the response and results from the Lutley children – especially when I tell them about the challenge that we all faced.

To echo Gavin, I too have previously taken for granted the knowledge we hold as teachers and expected children to solve daunting tasks in shorter periods of time. I will now endeavour to ensure I inspire and not overload ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you Tim and Sarah.