Ysgol Gymraeg Casnewydd ~ Day 1

| April 10, 2014 | 13 Comments

Great to be back in Newport, for the first of two days alongside the children, and staff, of Ysgol Gymraeg Casnewydd.

Welsh really is a beautiful language, and perfect for poetic, descriptive, invention.

We carried out our lessons in that fascinating cross between two languages. As someone who grew up only a few miles across the River Severn, yet never managed more than a poor impression of spoken Welsh, it has always been intriguing to carry out lesson sessions in a mixture of tongues.

Well done indeed to our intrepid explorers for doing so with such style, and alacrity.

The younger children have yet to write in English, as there schooling is carried out entirely in Welsh. We shared some imaginative wonderings, verb and adverb clauses, inventive creations, all in a wondrous Englwelsh, or Wenglish, dancing between both ways of talking and writing.

Words, in any language, are best when you pick them up, and juggle them. There were some admirable examples of word juggling today. A balanced argument with a seven year old! A vast amount of imaginative flying from all of the children. Some creative characterbecominging (that’s not Welsh) and all round superb, and enchanting, reflections of that this school already does, with their Philosophy for Children, drama, and whole school ethos. Well done all. More tomorrow…

Am ddiwrnod anhygoel! Roedd bod yng nghwmni Tim a Sarah yn ysbydoliaeth. Roedd y defnydd o gemau cyfrifiadurol yn sbarduno’r plant i feddwl , siarad ac ysgrifennu yn wefreiddiol. Cawsom wledd! Fe wnaethom gwrdd a dreigiaid ffyrnig, crwydro dinasoedd rhyfeddol, a chropian yn ofalus wrth groesi hen bont. Diolch o galon i chi’ch dau am y mewnbwn, byddwn yn bendant yn defnyddio eich awgrymiadau yn ein gwersi. Rwyf yn gwybod bod y staff yn edrych ymlaen yn eiddgar at yfory. Diolch i chi hefyd blantos, roeddech yn WYCH a chawsom lawer iawn o hwyl hefyd!!!

What a superb day! Being in the company of Tim and Sarah really was an inspiration. The use of computer games motivated the pupils to listen, think, talk and write creatively and above all allowed the pupils’ imagination to run wild. We met dragons, came across mysterious kingdoms, and crossed rickety bridges whilst creeping cautiously. The staff, I know are eagerly awaiting Day 2 tomorrow. Thank you children, you were FANTASTIC and I know you had lots and lots of fun too!!!!

Ceri Parry, Dirprwy Bennaeth Ysgol Gymraeg Casnewydd ~ Deputy Head, at Ysgol Gymraeg Casnewydd

1. Ysgol Gymraeg Casnewydd says:

Today was very funny because we went on a walk through a magical kingdom and we had to describe the place. I really enjoyed it!

2. Ysgol Gymraeg Casnewydd says:

I Tim Rylands,
    diolch am y wers ddoniol. Roedd e wedi bod yn hwyl! Diolch yn fawr iawn!

3. Ysgol Gymraeg Casnewydd says:

I thought that Mr Rylands, his walking sticks and the computer graphics were amazing. I loved Mr Walker becasue he was a flute.

4. Ysgol Gymraeg Casnewydd says:

Cefais i a blwyddyn 5 llawer o hwyl heddiw gyda Mr Rylands. Roedd Mr Rylands wedi rhoi gwen ar ein hwynebau wrth ddysgu. Diolch yn fawr!

5. Ysgol Gymraeg Casnewydd says:

In my opinion, Mr Rylands was amazing because he shared with me a magical, wonderful island with magical and mystical places.

6. Ysgol Gymraeg Casnewydd says:

Ar ddechrau sesiwn Mr Rylands, teimlais yn gyfforddus oherwydd roedd Mr Rylands yn ddoniol yn y ffordd roedd e’n dysgu.

7. Ysgol Gymraeg Casnewydd says:

I was amazed by what I learned today with Tim Rylands. I really didn’t expect what I saw and heard. My mind ran wild with Tim Rylands.

8. Ysgol Gymraeg Casnewydd says:

Yn fy marn i, y hoff ran oedd pan oedden ni wedi gweiddi mas cymhariaeth a throsiad, roedd e’n hwyl ac roedd pawb yn chwerthin. Nawr rydw i’n gallu cofio beth ydyn nhw.

9. Ysgol Gymraeg Casnewydd says:

In my opinion, I enjoyed the session because it was brilliant and I had a fun time writing similes and metaphors.

10. Ysgol Gymraeg Casnewydd says:

Yn fy marn i, roedd Mr Rylands yn ddoniol iawn oherwydd roedd e wedi gwneud i fi a phawb arall chwerthin. Fy hoff ran i oedd pan aethon ni fynd i wlad arall.

11. ceri Parry says:

12. Miss Rhiannon Pugh says:

Thank you for a truly inspiring day for both pupils and staff. The energy and excitement was infectious. I have come away with countless ideas to try after Easter. Thank you both.
    Diolch am ddiwrnod arbennig ac am ysgogi’r plant a’r staff. Rydw i wedi casglu llwyth o syniadauiw trio yn y dosbarth. Diolch o galon.

and thanks ALL for your thoughtful comments
    We look forward to more tomorrow
    You are already doing great stuff. We hope we can bring a few ideas to take it even further
    Diolch