Aldar Academies Conference Day, Abu Dhabi

| April 26, 2014 | 10 Comments

Our first, of four days with the Aldar Academies in Abu Dhabi, The United Arab Emirates. We started with a conference day for a vast amount of school staff, doing the first stage of what we love: an introduction to some of the huge range of possibilities available, freely, on the web.

We had a joyous, fast paced, day delving in to a deluge of digital delights. (We are going to go more analog over the next two days, with the children, before finishing in a whizzing whirr of wonders with staff on Tuesday. “Watch this space”.

To discover and build upon the powerful effect of using games, useful Web2 tools and software (most of it free), hand-held devices and more, can have on the curriculum, and standards, it has been so valuable to spend so much of our time “doing it” rather than just “talking about it” – modelling a way of teaching, where quality learning is the focus rather than the latest gadget; ‘what is said, rather than what is used to say it’.

But, to purely present at events, something that is a smaller part of what we do, does bring another opportunity: to share a slice of where we are up to in our travels through the “worlds of words” and “tech terrains”, yet to continue the learning journey too, will be great, over the next three days at Aldar. A lot of learning takes place, at the same time as sharing a lot of ideas.

Pick a new digital resource, play with it, (experiment first, then plan it carefully) and watch the results

There is a huge, and accessible, range of digital, and analogue, ways to engage, and motivate students of all ages, and abilities. They do not get in the way of learning. They do not, by taking away from time preparing for assessment tasks, contribute to a slide in results.

On the contrary, they can have a big impact on standards in our learning environments.

Imaginative, adaptable, open teaching, with an affinity for the needs, challenges, and celebrating the successes, of our pupils, are not only essential for quality learning to take place, they can also have a massive impact on, achievement… and enjoyment!

A massive thank you to Vanessa Matthews, and Michelle Forbes (and their colleague Debbie Roberts) for organising our visit to The UAE, and The Aldar group of schools. We are looking forward to taking things even further during the days ahead…

1. Huma says:

Amazingly great. Best way to spend a Saturday.

2. Peter says:

Splattered with information inspiring self to develop my class to bring in any tech to inspire them to communicate to each other and with me….looking forward to the next 10 weeks..then I can experiment further next academic year through the whole summer, ahhh rejuvenation!

3. Michelle Parkin says:

Great ideas and resources, so many things I want to use already! Thank you

4. Jinty Joy Orange says:

My mind is spinning… so many innovative ideas… quick; give me some children to teach!

5. Karen Aliouane says:

ICT to inspire, ticked all the boxes. Was fantastic delivery and presentation. Great ways of learning in the classroom.

6. Lesley says:

This is the most useful and inspiring CPD course I have done in eleven years of teaching. Lots of great resources and ideas to use in the classroom. Can’t wait for the workshop with my class tomorrow. Thanks Tim and Sarah for inspiring me again. I look forward to using many of your ideas. 👏

Thanks, all, for your comments
    We look forward to three more days with the Aldar community
    “There’s more”
    Tim and Sarah

8. Gill says:

Thank you for presenting such an eye opening day delving into your treasure box of ideas. I’m inspired and I’m looking forward to inspiring my children. Well worth attending on a Saturday!

9. Emma says:

Wow! Thanks for a truly inspiring day, such a lot to take back to the classroom. Your recommendation to develop just one or two ideas is a great reminder that we don’t have to do it all at once, we don’t need to be perfect to inspire the children – but, you provided so many sparks to reignite my creativity in the classroom it’s hard to choose where to start!

10. Jinty Joy Orange says:

Once again – I am in awe! Tim I saw you 5 years ago and needless to say you are still as fresh and engaging as ever. Your magic knows no bounds! I appreciate the hard work that has gone into providing so many “free” resources! I also enjoyed the jokes and the “voices” – the variety was “spicy”.

Thank you very much you have given me so much in so little time, I love it!
    I was right! My husband is not as thrilled with the course as I am. I am still glued to my PC and Ipad.

Thank you for sharing – your passion is still tangible.