Ynysowen Primary, Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales ~ The return Day 1

| February 13, 2015 | 13 Comments

Ynysowen Primary

A great pleasure to be back at Ynysowen Community Primary, Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales.

We were last here in 2012, as part of the ICT to Inspire project. The school has flown with lots of superb use of technology. Thanks to Tom Hills, Deputy Head Teacher and Additional Needs Coordinator, at Ynysowen Community Primary School, for sharing his thoughts:

Ynysowen PrimaryYnysowen is a school that continually seeks to engage learners in new and inspiring ways. Although this is not limited to emerging technologies, we have found that this area has a particular draw for the children. This was shown to be the case when last year we won a National Digital Learning Award for the work we undertook with Year 6 involving Google Sketchup. Watch a video about that here.

We also love to find ways to enthuse writing and have found Myst & Epic Citadel particularly useful for this along with other games and apps.

Currently the school is working on a project combining 3D printing with Minecraft, Literacy and Numeracy and we’re also excited about the soon-to-be-opened media centre including a full green-screen suite.

If it exists and our children love it, the chances are we’ve tried to use it for educational and motivational gains!”

Thanks, and well done, Tom, Simone Roden (Head Teacher), and the Ynysowen crew. We are looking forward to coming back, again, on March the 11th, for more technological magic, this time, involving the children…

1. Sarah and Clare says:

Absolutely inspiring day all the apps provided on the locked page are really useful. Time has gone so quickly thanks again.

2. Margaret Evans says:

A fantastic informative day with lots to take away and try at home and in the class

3. TN/KS says:

A very inspiring work shop going away at half term with lots of exciting ideas. A big thank you to the two of you x

4. Beth evans says:

Lots of fantastic ideas can’t wait to try some of them out

5. Joan Evans says:

An amazing day! I am going home with almost too much to think about, looking forward to making dinosaurs talk for my reception class. I’m pretty sure my family will be upset with me over half term as I will be spending all my time on the laptop or iPad! Thank you for a brilliant inspiring day.

6. Sarah Davies says:

Brilliant day! Can’t wait to get started. I’ve used some of the things you talked about but there is a lot more that we can do using your ideas nd free resources.

7. Sarah Williams says:

Wow what a great day! Great resources and ideas of ways to get the children excited and talking! So much to think about and play around with! Can’t wait to share some of it with the children!!
    Sarah WIlliams 😃😃😃😃

8. Aimee Ryle says:

Very interesting and enjoyable day. Lots of very useful and engaging programmes and apps to use in class. I look forward to trying them out and seeing the lessons in action!

9. Cerian says:

Lots of interesting information – looking forward to trying out what I’ve learnt today.
    Thanks.

10. Susan Walters says:

A superb day with lots of ideas. I found it very inspiring and exciting. Am looking forward to trying out 1 or 2 things and for a technophobe like me, that is really quite something! I look forward to seeing Tim in action again with our children at Ynysowen in March.

11. Jackie Jones says:

Fantastic! Amazing ideas I can’t wait to start “making resources” so so valuable for our hearing impaired class making lessons so real!

12. Lisa Clarke says:

An excellent training day. So many useful websites and apps that we can use in the class. Going to make changes to my planning for when we come back after the hols. Look forward to seeing you both in a few weeks time. My year class will love you !!!
    Lisa

13. Michelle Hardy says:

A fantastic day with so many wonderful resources to inspire at both school and home. Thank you. Can’t wait to see what happens in March.